Thursday, July 30, 2009

English Legacy: Find The River (Chapter 26)

Hey now, little speedyhead,
the read on the speedmeter says
you have to go to task in the city
where people drown and people serve.
Don't be shy. Your just deserve
is only just light years to go.

From the Diary of Latricia English:

Well, Diary. Today is the day. All our bags are packed, and we're ready to go. We're just going over a few streets, so we won't be leaving on a jet plane.
Yep, Christopher, Danny, the new baby, and I are moving into our own house. It feels weird to leave this house after so many years, and so many memories; but Christopher is right - we're ready to make our own home.
I think we'd still be moving even if it hadn't been for the unexpected, yet welcome "Accident" that happened shortly after Grandma Laurel's passing. Chris and I had consoled each other very thoroughly, you could say, and Absent-Minded me forgot my cycle date and the ability to count to thirty.
He was startled, as was I, to find out I was pregnant again, with Danny in the middle of his junior year at high school. Being the doctor that I am though, I should have known that everything was still working.

Of course, being part of a rich household, with the support of my loving husband, my son, and even my brother-in-law's family, I had a very uneventful pregnancy, and it didn't seem like long before we were driving home from the hospital with Justin Laurence English.
We had hoped a little bit for a daughter, and I even went so far to eat two slices of watermelon during my pregnancy, forgetting the "Magic number" was three. We would have named her Laurel after her dearly departed grandmother, but that was not to be. Hence, Laurence for his middle name.

My husband's just lucky he's still alive to come with us. A week ago, he came home from work in an Astronaut's uniform! My husband had succeeded in his Lifetime Wish to be an astronaut, just like his big brother!
They'd even rewarded him with a little device called a Moodlet Manager - apparently it's some kind of test device to deal with the stresses of space flight.
Of course, my husband decided to try it out when I sat back down at the chess table to put the pieces away, Neatly, before we went to celebrate appropriately.
Needless to say, there appeared to be a bug or two remaining in it's programming. As for Chris, I informed him, that with my medical skills, if he ever tried it on me again without warning, I'd shove it somewhere in his body they MIGHT be able to retrieve it from.
It wasn't long after that that Chris had a discussion with his brother, Alex.

"Are you sure about this Chris? You guys don't need to leave, this house has plenty of room for everyone. I mean geez, Justin has Mom's old room all to himself."

"Yes, I know Alex, but, the kids' graduations are coming up fast. They're going to be adults themselves, looking to start families of their own. You guys need the room to prepare for the next generation - there's not enough room for the kids' future spouses and kids, regardless of who the Heir is."

"But Chris, while Dad specifically said the Heir didn't have to be male, the next Heir does have to live on this lot. If Danny moves from here, he won't be eligible to be Heir. Is he okay with that?"

"Yes, I asked him about it the other day, when he was tossing his brother in the air. I asked him if he was interested in being the Heir, and he said 'Dad, I may be a Daredevil, but I'm not crazy.' He laughed as he said it, but clarified that he didn't want that kind of responsibility. Like me, he thought it was something only Dee and 'Beth were eligible for, since they're your kids."

"Chris, I hadn't ruled out anyone - the rules only specify the next generation Heir must be of the family bloodline. But on another note... this house is technically part yours - your paychecks went into the family fund to build it, just like Trish's."
"I know, Alex, and I know you told Dad that you'd let me stay as long as I wanted..."

"Lucky for you you never broke any of my toys."

"True... but, it's okay, big brother. All our years flying jets together, this was a great house to come back to, but I think the Legacy will be better served by us moving out, so whichever of the girls becomes the Heiress, can have more room to tell their story. Plus, I'm not sure I want to be here when you get all old and gray."

"You realize, the only reason you're not in a headlock for that, is I don't want to wake Justin here? But seriously, feel free to spend what you need to buy a nice house. It's not like we won't see each other again."

"Oh, we'll see each other again, surely. Danny will want to be here for his joint birthday party with the girls."

"Don't call me Shirley."
So, there you have it, Diary. I felt a little weird leaving this house after so long, but like Chris said, it's for the good of the Legacy. Even still, my darling husband had to console me when I was standing in Danny's empty room. I'll do whatever I can to make our new house, a home.

Oh, the taxi's here. It's time to go. I think I'll make my boys sit in the back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*snickering at forgetting how to count to 30* And the forgetting about 3 slices of watermelon.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Is that supposed to be "From the Diary of Latisha English"? Not from the Dirty? *grins*

Do we get to know this new baby's name? *pokes the Shiny One* But congrats on the mid-life baby, Latisha and Christopher!

Ah, hello Justin! *waves hello to the little tyke*

Congrats on reaching the stars, Chrisopher! *cheers*

Oh, I don't think this is going to go well. *covers her eyes with her hands, then peeks out between her fingers to keep reading* Yeah, that's what I thought. *winces* Chris is -definitely- lucky he's still alive to make the move!

That was sweet that Alex didn't want Chris and his family to move out though. :D

That's nice that he was still considering Danny for the Heir and all. Leaving everyone in the house for so long definitely left you with some options for Heir, didn't it. :) So are you going to move them out and let them take some of the family money or are you gonna kick them out and let them find their own way in the world? *grins*

Glad you're using the family cash to set them up in a house. :-D That does seem only fair, given their story.

I hope we still get to hear about Chris and Latisha, now that they've moved out of the house.

SuziCat said...

Ah, now that the LTW is reached, time to make room in the Legacy house! I remember the feeling well. :-)

Roo said...

*blinks* What is a 'dirty'??
"Don't call me Shirley."
*groans* you did not just go for the 'Airplane' joke. *groans again*
grats on the LTW in time to make room for the next gen.

MysticSpirit said...

I did think the household was getting a bit on the full side. Glad to see that his brother and his son were so very gracious in handing over control of the legacy and household to his big bro. :O)

HA!! I love that when she said she'd stick that moodlet thingy someplace they MIGHT be able to get to. *LOL*

"Don't call me Shirley" ... *snickers*

My eyes ... MY EYES!!! THEY BUUUUUUUUUUURN! *tries hard not to stare at the vertical and horizontal stripes in the second to last picture*

Anonymous said...

Wow - I was wondering how long everyone was going to stay in the same house. I was also wondering you would make Danny the heir, or pick one of the girls. Chris is right tho - you got to have room for the next generations.
Congrats on the LT wish & the new baby. I do hope we get to go visit them at some point. ;)