Thursday, July 2, 2009

English Legacy: I've Been High (Chapter 8)

"what I want
what I really want is
just to live my life on high.

and I know
I know you want the same
I can see it in your eyes."
Laurel smiled to herself as she rubbed her belly. She had no reason to doubt the results from the home pregnancy kit, and briefly considered waking Brian up to tell him. He had been working even harder than usual, try to reach that esteemed level of Dynamic DNA Profiler, and had fallen into bed after eating some leftover Ratatouille that's he'd made, although she didn't let him go without a hug and a kiss, telling him how much she appreciated how hard he was working.

Besides, he was off tomorrow, and she didn't mind waiting until they were both well-rested before telling him the good news. She changed into her new, appropriate sleepwear, and climbed into bed with her husband, kissing him on the back of the neck, not to wake him, but to register her presence on his unconscious mind.
"Early to bed, and early to rise," the old saying went, so it was still dark when Brian woke up, and availed himself to a shower without waking Laurel, or so he thought.

"Oh, good morning my love. I hope I didn't wake you."

"Oh, you didn't, Brian. I wasn't really sleeping."

"You're not still feeling sick from those Apple pancakes, are you?" he asked, with an hint of concern she found adorable.

"No, Brian. Those were wonderful, in fact, I had another plate of them, and they still tasted fine. I think it was..."

"Wait, Laurel, is that a new nightie? Couldn't you sew the leopard skin thingy back together?"

"Oh, no... that one was irreparable - don't worry, I've got more of them. No, this new nightie is more appropriate now."

"Appropriate how?" Brian asked, the Clue Train still fifteen minutes out.
Laurel couldn't contain herself any more. "Well, it's appropriate for expectant mothers to wear this nightie..... like me."

Brian looked puzzled for half a second, then a huge grin broke out on his face (Creator's Note: Which I didn't take a picture of, cause it looks really dumb for a wife to Announce her Pregnancy to her husband, and have him pat her on the shoulder).

"We did it?" he asked through his beaming smile. When she nodded happily, he gently took her into his arms for a loving embrace. They kissed for a moment, and then Brian looked oddly pensive, Laurel thought.

"What's that look for, Brian?" she asked.

"Well," he replied, an impish grin coming to his face. "Maybe we should get that ripped leopard skin thingy framed, and hang it on the wall."

"Well, I don't think that would be very... appropriate," she replied, rubbing noses with him.

"Why that?" he asked, his naughty smile replaced by confusion.

"Because it technically wasn't anywhere nearby. It was literally in the other room, remember?"

The two of them laughed like fools, as they embraced again.
As her pregnancy progressed, Laurel filled out quite quickly. She couldn't wait to meet her and Brian's child, and devoured every set of Apple Pancakes Brian put in front of her. One puzzling thing was, the TV kept turning it self on and tuning itself to the Kidz Zone channel. She didn't watch it much, but it seemed like it was always playing in the background.
Near the end of her pregnancy, she developed nesting urges, which her pregnancy books had advised her of. The baby's room was finished and decorated quite early on, and the house was still small and simple enough that there wasn't much else to do. However, being Handy, Laurel fulfilled these urges by Upgrading the toilet and shower to be Self-Cleaning, since she had no luck finding a Husband Cleaning option some days. Brian made himself useful by stocking her Lamaze bag and keeping it in the trunk of his police car.

And then, one day quite recently...
"Uh, Brian.... my water just broke! I think the baby is on it's way!"

"Wait, you're sure? Oh my god, the baby is coming the baby is coming! What do we do, what do we do??'

Amazing. The two of them read the pregnancy books, and got Medical advice, and they still Freak Out. To her credit, Laurel calmed down long before Brian did.

"Relax, Brian. We've got plenty of time to get to the hospital. My contractions are still fifteen minutes apart."

"Right. Hospital. Police Cruiser. Sirens! Let's go!"
"I really think I should be the one driving, my love."

(Creator's Note: So did I. I initiated the "Take Mother to Hospital" action with Brian, but since Laurel was closer to the door, she summoned the cruiser, and drove to the hospital.)
There is usually quite the hubbub of voices at County Care General Hospital. But, a few hours after Brian and Laurel's arrival, a new voice was heard; the cry of a brand-new life....

...Who you'll learn about in the next update.

7 comments:

MysticSpirit said...

You are so evil, Brian. *glares* :O))

Anonymous said...

Who authorized this cliffhanger?

Roo said...

*headdesk* great. now I catch up? here? Gah! brat! LOL

taratownie said...

Hey! We NEED to know how many kids they got lol

Brian said...

I never get natural twins. My very first Sims 2 birth was twins (The original Melissa and Danny Donovan); but if I ever wanted twins, I had to use cheesecake.

The only Sim I ever used cheesecake on was Angela Pleasant, both incarnations.

I don't know what's in the water for all your Sims, but all my births since that very first one in Sims 2 have been single births.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Yay for a baby bump! *cheers softly, so as not to wake up Brian*

Hehe, yeah, I would have gotten a little upset if my husband patted me on the shoulder if I told him I was preggers. *snickers*

Got medical advice? *blinks* I'm gonna have to check that out next time someone's preggers. I didn't even think about that! But I'm glad they stopped freakin' out and got her to the hospital. *giggles*

Gah! We've gotta wait until the next chapter to find out the names of their twin boys? That's so MEAN! *pouts*

Anonymous said...

bwuahahaha~! "the Clue Train still fifteen minutes out" priceless!!
I love that she drove them to the hospital - she's definitely a take charge kinda gal!
I like her!