Sunday, July 26, 2009

English Legacy: The Great Beyond (Chapter 24)

And all this talk of time
Talk is fine
And I don´t want to stay around
Why can´t we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Hello, my love. It's been a long time.

Brian?.... Is it really you?

Yes, my dearest. Are you surprised?
I suppose I shouldn't be. I guess I should have seen it coming after the other night. I thought I was just really tired, and should have been in bed that late. Speaking of which, I'm really, really sorry, sweetheart.

For what, my love?
For accidentally destroying our bed with my ray gun. That bed was the first and only bed we ever shared. Our boys were conceived in that bed.

* chuckle * Oh, don't worry about it, my love. Consider it the equivalent of tossing a goblet into a fire after a toast, so that it may never be used for a lesser toast.

Interesting way of looking at it there... though I can't decide if I'm glad or not that... it happened when everyone was home.
I think, that in your heart, you know the answer.

You're right again, my husband. I got to see them all gathered at once; our children, and their children. Though I imagine Shante and Latricia would have changed out of those bathing suits if they'd had a chance...
Well, like the old saying goes, you never know the day or the hour. Besides, that pool wasn't cheap. I'm glad it was being put to good use.
I will say this, my love. That Grim fellow wasn't nearly as imposing as I thought. Here, at the end of my long life, I know why you shook his hand when you met him. But still, it was hard on the family.
It was indeed, but, like you said all those years ago, it's part of the circle of life, Laurel.

You earned your epitaph, my dear - "Here lies Laurel English; always loved." Our children, their children... they will heal, and they will continue our Legacy. Hey, at least you got to finish your last painting.
I did, didn't I? I just wish I'd gotten around to naming it. It's name could only have been... "Home Sweet Home."

That would have been a perfect name. I think Alex hung it right in the lower foyer.

He'll do a great job. Well, now that we're together again, my love, reunited forever, there's one thing I must ask you.

What's that, my love? You can ask me anything.
Is it supposed to be this dark in here?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Laurel English.

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Aww, that's so sweet he came back to see her. But shame on her for destroying their bed. *snickers* (And still no door, looks like, so I guess you're game-play is ahead of your blog? *tickles the Shiny One*)

Hahaha! I like Brian's thinking on the destruction of their bed. *giggles*

Aww, Laurel's finally joining him... I guess this is their discussion on the other side, not from when he came to see her. *sniffles* She was such a fun character to get to know and she will be missed.

I'm glad she was ready to move on and didn't feel she hadn't lived her life to the fullest.

Goodness, that's a whole lot of unhappy thought bubbles there! *comforts the English clan* Poor folks.

Congrats on finishing the last painting and yes, that is a great name for it. :-D

*claps a hand over her mouth to keep from snickering too loudly* Yes, Brian, I think it is supposed to be that dark. *grins*

SuziCat said...

Yeah, I was going to comment on all the sad people in that pic, too! I guess she was really loved! There were proably crying jags going on in that place for days.

MysticSpirit said...

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!! :~( That was so sweet ... bitterly sweet ... but still sweet. *sniffles* It's sad when the founders leave. *sniffles*

My goodness ... that's a lot of grieving family. O__o

I'm glad one of them managed to finish a painting before they went.

And I thought it was Laurel who asked about the darkness ... ???

Brian said...

@Aero: Oh, not really. Laurel's room has a double door on it... doors don't show up in cutaway view.

And that's Laurel asking if it's supposed to be that dark.... don't make me go back and color the text. :D

Roo said...

that was very sweet Bri
*discreetly hands him a tissue for the 'something' in his eye*

Anonymous said...

aww - that's bittersweet. Together again, after a long & happy life. and Dang! But that's a LOT of unhappy thought balloons - nothing like going out the center of attention, huh? :(
I'm sure we'll be seeing her around tho!