Monday, September 14, 2009

English Legacy: Sweetness Follows, Reprise (Chapter 32)

Readying to bury your father and your mother,
what did you think when you lost another?

So, we meet again. This time, it's going to be different.

I've seen and forgotten many things over my long life, but one thing that has never left my consciousness, never stopped being the source of my drive, has been the memory of you.
I was only a few days old when I met you for the first time. I was there when you came for my grandfather, and I knew, somehow, and yet should not have, who you were.
Of course, that was not the last time we would meet. It couldn't have been. I was there when you came for my father, who taught me to keep striving to build, to strive, and to provide for the ones I love. In his memory, I strove to make the English family strong and prosperous.
Which I did. My father didn't get to see me marry my darling Shante, the woman who never made me regret anything in my life for a single minute, with the possible exception of not being able to introduce our children to their grandfather. I used the land he'd bought to build a house worthy of his dreams for his descendants.
I knew you were always there, always in the back of my mind, so I pushed myself... I pushed myself all the way to outer space, literally.
Then, you came for my mother. If Dad was the rock of the family, Mom was the soul. She put her dreams on hold to raise my brother and myself, and taught us the virtues of love, humor, and self-sacrifice. And when we didn't need her to raise us anymore, she spread her wings and pursued her own dreams, becoming a famous Mad Scientist.

Then, when you finally came for her, she thanked you for the time, just like my father did.
I never got to ask her what she thought of the job I had done as Heir. Looking upon my family, I realize I didn't need to. My darling Deanna is a highly successful author, yet a loving mother and wife. She picked well when it came to her husband, and looking at my grandson Kevin, I see a sparkle of the drive that was in my father's eye, and my mother's heart.

Kevin, my boy. Don't lose that lust for life that you have. You're so brave, just like I was. You look so much like your great-grandfather, that I swear I see him each time I look at you. You're going to be the Heir someday, I just know it.
My baby girl Elizabeth. You didn't have such an easy time growing up, but the issues you had were all in your mind. I helped you get past them, but the true strength came from within you. Your daughter Cassandra, my sweet grandchild, is your reward.
My darling Cassandra. Near the end of my life, you came into our lives, you little bundle of life. I'd never seen your mother smile more when she walked into the house with you. Each time you banged on that toy xylophone, the same one I played with as a toddler, I liked to imagine the beautiful music you will write as you get older.
So, here we are, Death. Now, after all these years, you've come for me.
Looking into your dark hood, I experience a slight moment of doubt.... have I fulfilled my promise to myself I made over 95 years ago, when I first met you? Do I have anything to regret? My life, my long and successful life flashes before my eyes, and I have my answer.
The answer is simple, and clear. I have no regrets. I have done the best I could. Like my father and mother before me, I thank you. My family is strong, and I am comforted.

My darling, genius Shante... my feelings at this moment cannot be properly put into words. Logic tells me you will be following me soon, and yet, I illogically wish for you to live forever, so that Death will not come for you, yet at the same time, I cannot wait for us to be together again. The answers to all the Unsolvable questions we would research, they are all here, and I cannot wait to share them with you. The only question left to ask is...
...is it always going to be this dark in here?

4 comments:

MysticSpirit said...

That was beautiful ...

... right up until the end. *ROTFLMAO* :O))

Roo said...

pfft dont listen to Ang, the end was perfect.
one of your best updates! well done oh shiny one

AeronwyDiobhell said...

Wow, he really was in awe of his parents. :-) That was really cool, seeing the first half of his life summed up like that.

*sniffles as she continues reading* He's so proud of his children too. :-D

*hangs her head in mourning* You will be missed by your family and even at 95, you were still taken too soon.

*bursts out laughing* Unfortunately, yes, it will likely always be that dark. *snickers*

Brian said...

Heh... I'm afraid to play now... because I keep thinking about who is next up to ring down the curtain. :(